Sunday, January 4, 2009

That's a wrap for 2008!

As 2008 has drawn to a close, I've paused to reflect on the year. A year that is certain to be unmatched by any other.

January ~ Kevin joined BAE Systems as a Manufacturer's Rep. BAE makes bullet-proof & stab-proof vests, shields, helmets, gun holsters, etc. I'm not sure that there is such a thing as a "dream job" but I think it is safe to say, Kevin really enjoys this job. January wasn't quite as much fun for me. Baby Degel continued to give me a run for my money and I paid my second visit to the hospital.

February ~ We hopped on a plane to Naples, FL. to pay Bob a visit. As luck would have it Jen, Chad and Samuel were able to join us. (And for those of you wondering, yes, Jen and I compared our pregnant bellies!) For the most part my 20 weeks of morning (noon, nighttime and every time in between) sickness subsided. :-)

March ~ Regan turned 2 and we started to notice a lot less "puppy" in her! Baby Degel continued to let me know he/she was in charge and I was put on walking and lifting restrictions...better than the alternative! Just before my birthday, we jetted off to Maui to rest and relax for 10 days with Mike and Sheila. (Okay, Kevin and I enjoyed some R&R while Mike and Sheila bounced around every adventure the island could offer!)

April ~ We continued our rest and relaxation in Maui. As well, we celebrated Kevin's Birthday. Outside of Kevin's travels to Milwaukee and Duluth it was kind of a quite month for us.

May ~ Kevin and I attended the dreaded 2 day baby class. As luck would have it, we ended up meeting some wonderful people at the class (Kate & Corey). In May we eagerly awaited the arrival of our second nephew. Miles Cooper was born on the 27th!! My dad announced he took a new job in Florida and make a quick move at the end of the month.

June ~ June rang in the month of Baby Showers....yes, all four of them! Kevin and I continue to be grateful for the generosity of our amazing friends and family. THANK YOU!! Once again Baby Degel decided to show his/her spirit by alerting our doctor to some irregular heartbeats and failed stress tests. From then on, we spent about 2 hours a week monitoring the baby. I was so thankful to have Kevin by my side. During some of the extra monitoring our doctor let it slip that we were having a little girl! (She tried to back track at that visit and every one after, but Kevin and I already new Avery would be joining us!)

July ~ The month we'd waited for! Sheila and Mike finally got engaged!! In addition to that, we checked into the hospital on the 9th to be induced. On July 10th Avery Ann was born via emergency c-section. I know Kevin will never forget the first 45 minutes he got to spend with Avery and I know I will never forget the nurse handing me Avery, who was crying, only to have her collapse into my arms and instantly stop crying...as if to say, I'm okay I'm with mommy now. The remainder of the month was filled with visitors, visits to friends and family, play dates and Avery's milestones.

August ~ We adjusted excitedly into being parents. Every day seemed to bring more joy than the one before. We took Avery to see the animals at her first fair and Kevin and I celebrated our anniversary with a date. (Grandma, thanks for watching Avery!)

September ~ Avery took her first plane ride, as she and I went to visit my dad and sister in Tampa, FL. Avery slept through the night to celebrate her 2 month 1 day birthday! Avery also took her first swim while in FL. We visited the MN Zoo this month and had lots of play dates (Thanks Elle & Cyndi and Ty and Kate!) Kevin and I attended Derek Anderson's Merger up at Lake Koronis (Grandma & Auntie Amy, thanks for watching Avery!)

October ~ Off to daycare and back to work for Avery and me. We both transitioned very well! Avery had a big month of milestones. She made noise when she laughed, put toys in her mouth, rolled from her tummy to her back, found her hands and got her first cold. Avery was a monkey for Halloween! Kevin had lots of fun this month at a bachelor party, golfing and hunting. If only he could have tossed in a poker night...oh wait, I think he did play poker!

November ~ Another month of milestones for Avery. She had her first sad day at daycare, she found her feet, held a bottle, rolled from her back to her tummy, sat with help, reached for daddy, had her first school conference (no kidding!), got her first fevers, at her first cereal and sat in her high chair. She weighs 14lbs (52%) and is 26in(93%). I was supposed to visit Amy in Missouri, but that was canceled due to Avery being sick. (Now Amy and I are thinking a bit bigger...somewhere warm, no husbands and no children). Kevin enjoyed hunting both deer and pheasants, as well he enjoyed a night at the theater (Wicked). We celebrated the marriage of Sheila and Mike Jenson!!

December ~ Avery learned to sit all by herself! She eats like a champ too (16lbs), she'll let you know if you're not feeding her fast enough. Auntie Amy had her heart surgery to fix the one inch round hole (not slit) in her heart. She is recovering very well and we are all grateful. We celebrated Christmas in MN with the Degel's before taking Avery on her second plane trip to Panama City, FL. We celebrated Christmas Day at the beach this year.

It has been an exciting, emotional and busy year for us. We are grateful for everything 2008 has blessed us with. Our lives have been touched by the birth of our beautiful daughter and the joy she gives us every day. We hope 2009 blesses you with the things our family has cherished most, like our friends and family.

That's a wrap for 2008, Happy New Year!!

The Degel's